General FAQs | Auto FAQs | Property FAQs

General FAQs

Q: Where do I file a claim?

A: Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-866-464-2424 to report your claim and start the process of getting you back on track.

Q: I forgot who my claims adjuster is, who do I call?

A:  If you have forgotten who your claims adjuster is or have trouble reaching them, you can always contact our call centre and we would be happy to direct you to someone who can assist you. Our 24-hour claims line is 1-866-464-2424.

Q: Will my premiums increase as a result of a claim?

A: Your independent insurance broker (the person who originally sold you your policy) is your best source of information regarding premiums and potential changes to your policy.

Q: How are deductibles handled?

A: A deductible is the portion you are responsible for paying in the event of a claim. For example, if your car insurance policy has a $1,000 deductible for collision and there are $5,000 in damages, you will pay the first $1,000 and the insurance company will pay the remaining $4,000.

Usually, this is paid to the vendor who completes the repairs to your vehicle or property. Your adjuster will be able to help you with any questions you may have about your deductible.

Q: How long do I have to finish my claim?

A: The limitation date on your policy specifies how long you have to report your claim from the date you experience a covered loss on your home or car insurance.  It is two years for home insurance claims and varies from one to two years for automobile claims.

If you had a loss on your home on January 1, 2015, you would have until January 1, 2017, to complete all aspects of your claim, regardless of when you reported the claim to Intact Insurance.

If your claim will not be completed by the limitation date, you will need to file a statement of claim to protect your ability to pursue your claim beyond this date. Your claim representative will be able to review your policy with you and explain limitation dates to you in detail.

Auto FAQs

Q: What is a total loss?

A:If your vehicle is deemed a ‘total loss’, this essentially means that the cost to repair your vehicle is greater than the current value of the vehicle, or the necessary repairs can’t be carried out safely. The value of your vehicle is based on the current market value of vehicles equivalent to yours in the same year, make, and model.

Q: What is salvage?

A: If your vehicle is a total loss, salvage is the amount of money your vehicle is worth in its damaged state. If you retain your salvage amount, the vehicle is yours to keep and we subtract this amount from your settlement cheque. If you do not wish to keep your vehicle, we will issue you the full payment of your settlement cheque and can make arrangements to pick up your vehicle.

Property FAQs

Q: What if I have an emergency at home?

A: If you have an emergency situation, your safety is paramount and we encourage you to be very cautious around damaged areas of your home.

  • If it’s safe to do so, clean up any damage that has occurred and prevent any new damage from occurring (e.g., cleaning up water that has entered your home).
  • Take photos of the damage first and don’t discard any damaged contents.
  • If you require assistance completing emergency repairs, we will send a contractor to protect your home from further damage as much as possible. Your adjuster will work with them to determine repairs required.

Q: What are sub limits and how do they work?

A: A sub limit is the maximum amount available to be paid out on a covered loss. For example, you may have purchased a policy with a $20,000 coverage limit (or sub limit) for water and a $2,500 property deductible. For a claim with $25,000 in damages, you will pay the first $2,500 and we will cover the next $20,000. The remaining $2,500 in repairs will need to be covered by you.

There are a variety of sub limit and deductible options available to customers. Your adjuster will discuss your particular policy limit with you when reviewing your coverage and explain the options you have available.